Wellington Battery, Central [c.1844-c.1888]
Submitted by Rob on Mon, 2012-03-19 21:43
Demolished / No longer exists
Date Place completed:
c.1844-01-01 (Year is approximate)
Date Place demolished:
c.1888-01-01 (Year is approximate)
Year completed is: Approximate
Condition at last visit: Demolished
Date of last visit: Jul-1998
- 1845: Un-named Bty of 6 guns at this site. (WO 78/479).
- 1851: Wellington Bty of 9 guns. (WO 78/456).
- 1854: 9 x 32 pdr guns. (WO 1/481).
- 1875: There are no guns mounted at Wellington Bty. (WO 78/2362).
- 1882: Bty marked on map, no guns noted. (MPHH 1/465).
- 1887: Bty area authorised to become the site of a Submarine Mining Barracks. (WO 78/3276).
For a background to these notes, and a glossary of terms used, please see: http://gwulo.com/node/24630
Detailed history of the site here - plus pics of the original sea wall and well they found during current MTR construction works
In 1844 I have found numerous references to the construction of 2 Barrack blocks near the Eastern Battery which I believe is this one