Site of former Sham Shui Po Camp and POW Camp [1927-????]
1927. A camp for soldiers is built here on the recently reclaimed land. (See PWD report for 1927, quoted in the comments below.)
1941. 'C' Force (the Canadian troops) arrive in Hong Kong, and initially stay here.
1942-45. Used by the Japanese as a Prisoner of War camp to hold Allied soldiers.
Based on information from T and moddsey, and a 1949 map of the area, it looked as though the Barracks covered the area outlined in blue above. At that time the northwest and southwest boundaries of this area were the limits of the reclamation, and so faced the sea.
1965. The '65 map still shows parts of this area marked "WD65", ie belonging to the War Department. But the exact boundaries are not clear.
1979-1981. In the '65 map, the block adjacent to and northeast of the Police Station is shown as War Department Land. Between 1979-81 it was used as a camp to house Vietnamese refugees.
Some points to note:
- A. This road is named 'Camp Street', a reminder of the area's history.
- B. Commemorative Plaques and Trees in Sham Shui Po Park, remembering the POW camps, and those who suffered there. They are in the north corner of the park, shown by the circle on this park map:
- C. Sham Shui Po Police Station
- D. Site of Sham Shui Po ferry pier
- E. Site of Vietnamese Refugee Camp
Can anyone fill in what the area was used for in the other years?