Royal Buildings North / Cecil Hotel [1904-1954] | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Royal Buildings North / Cecil Hotel [1904-1954]

Current condition: 
Demolished / No longer exists
Date Place completed: 
c.1904-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)
Date Place demolished: 
c.1954-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)

Royal/ Chung Tin buildings


Inland Lot 1724, secured July 1900


Architect was Leigh & Orange


Phase 1 (King Edward Hotel end) completed in 1902, leased to Dhunjeebhoy Dorabjee, severely damaged by fire in March 1929

Rebuilt as office block which opened in 1931 (original façade kept), rebuilt portion renamed Chung Tin Building


Phase 2 completed in 1904, lower five floors leased to Lane Crawford until 1924

After 1924 building was leased as Hotel Savoy which became Hotel Cecil


Buildings sold to Lau Kwai Cheuk after construction in 1904 but possession regained by HK land on his death in 1936 due to unpaid HKD500,000 mortgage


Demolished in 1954 to build Alexandra House


Source: HK Land at 125

Photos that show this place


Can we add Lane Crawford to the title,please?

For details and photos of the north section (King Edward Hotel / Chung Tin Building), see: