Jimmy's Kitchen QRC [1934-1975]
Submitted by Klaus on Fri, 2019-02-01 18:34
Demolished / No longer exists
Date Place completed:
c.1934-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)
Date Place demolished:
c.1975-01-01 (Month, Day are approximate)
In 1934 Jimmy's Kitchen moved from Lockhart Road to the China Building at Queen's Road Central/Theatre Lane near King's Theatre. It closed during the Japanese occupation from 1941-1945.
In August 1945 (!) the restaurant opened again. In 1975, the restaurant closed because the China Building was about to be demolished and moved to Wyndham Street.
More information on their website. (website no longer available since mid-2020)
Jimmy's Kitchen - 1 D'Aguilar St
There is a minor gap in the website. Looks like Jimmy's Kitchen had moved to D'Aguilar Street prior to the move to the China Building as noted here The move to D'Aguilar Street may have been short-lived.
Some interesting details
Some interesting details about Jimmy's Kitchen in Gwulo comments.
Earliest mention is in the 1934 licensing session ( July 1934) for liquors. The following was notified:
Name of Applicants
Description of License
Sign of House
Situation of House
Whether the applicant has held a license to sell liquor in the Colony and, if so, for how long
restaurant keeper's adjunct license
China Building, ground floor (Facing Queen's Theatre)