2017-02 RTHK's Hong Kong Heritage - Dan Waters' books at 41 Conduit Road
Gwulo takes to the airwaves! Annemarie Evans invited me on to her show, Hong Kong Heritage, where we chatted about the late Dan Waters' book collection, sidetracked into hunting & trapping in Hong Kong, then returned to Dan's apartment and its connection to the film Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing.
Here is the link to listen to the show:
Below I've included links to more information about the topics we discussed, with the time as it is shown on the podcast player. Then at the bottom of the page is the usual round-up of new pages and questions on Gwulo this week.
Thanks to Annemarie for inviting me on to her show. I see her list of past 'Hong Kong Heritage' episodes has a new look with a short description and a photo for each one, making it much easier to browse through and find something that you're interested in: Visit the RTHK website to view the list of episodes.
More information about the topics discussed:
- 00:00 Deric Daniel WATERS (aka Dan) [1920-2016]
- 01:52 Book: The Arthur May Story by Ronald Taylor
- 02:00 Book: Power and Charity: A Chinese Merchant Elite in Colonial Hong Kong by Elizabeth Sinn
- 02:45 Hong Kong Social & Economic Trends 1968-1972
- Population pyramid
- Households who make their living from agriculture
- 07:15 Book: Understanding Technical English by Ken Methold & Dan Waters
- 08:40 Wartime diaries of Hong Kong in WW2
- 10:40 Hong Kong Military History Notes by Phillip Bruce
- Does anyone have contact details for Phillip Bruce? I'd like to get in touch.
- The Battlebox
- West Battery
- 12:40 Book: Hong Kong Ways & Byways, a Miscellany of Trivia by Eric Cumine
- 16:10 Sign up for Gwulo's newsletter!
- 16:30 Dan's paper about the history of 41 Conduit Road: "YET MORE THOUGHTS ON HAN SUYIN'S A MANY SPLENDOURED THING: CONDUIT ROAD AND ITS ENVIRONS"
- 16:40 The original Number 41 Conduit Road building:
- 21:00 The Hong Kong Journals Online website
- 21:05 Dan's paper about the history of 41 Conduit Road: "YET MORE THOUGHTS ON HAN SUYIN'S A MANY SPLENDOURED THING: CONDUIT ROAD AND ITS ENVIRONS"
- 24:00 See more scenes from the film Love is a Many-Splendored Thing
- 25:00 The Cheung Po Tsai Traditional Path
- 26:00 The old waste incinerators around Hong Kong
- 26:15 Where was the incinerator in Silvermine Bay / Mui Wo?
New on Gwulo.com this week:
Readers ask for information (photos, facts, memories, etc.) about:
Several people have written to let me know that Phillip passed away in 2011.
Thanks to everyone who replied, I've made a page with a link to his obituary at https://gwulo.com/node/36694