Everything tagged "chapter 8" | Gwulo: Old Hong Kong

Everything tagged "chapter 8"

Tyndareus Stone [????-1993]

Date Place demolished: 
c.1993-10-31 (Day is approximate)

Notes from moddsey:

The stone that formerly stood near the junction of Harlech and Hatton Roads on the Peak can be viewed here and its current location here

It reads:

The Peak Tram, upper terminus [1888- ]

Date Place completed: 


1888 - Opens

The Repulse Bay Hotel [1920-1982]

Date Place completed: 
Date Place demolished: 

The was the original Hotel back then.  Low rise, high ceiling, with tiled roof.  Now it had become a shopping centre with restaurants, a Wellcome supermarket and various small shops.


Stonecutters Island [????- ]

Shek O Village [????- ]

Martin Booth: "On a stubby headland was a small village and some low houses ..."

Here's how it looked in the 1950s:

1950s Shek O

Smithfield Cattle Depot (abattoir until 1961) [????- ]

Now closed, it has been earmarked as the location for the Kennedy Town MTR station when the ISland Line is extended.

Government House (2nd & current generation) [1944- ]

Date Place completed: 
Previous place(s) at this location: 

Repulse Bay [????- ]

Repulse Bay seen from Seaview Promenade

Hong Kong Observatory [????- ]

Subscribe to Everything tagged "chapter 8"